First, choose your class period
Then take a look at our presentations below
Note, however, that enrollment ended on Oct 28, 2016.
From Nuclear Subs to Math Class: How Education Makes You Flexible
A description of how a well-balanced technical and liberal arts education help you stay flexible within a career and between careers.
*B.S. In Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Duke University *20 Years as Nuclear Submariner and 6 years as a Telecommunications Engineer *Math educator for 15 years *M. Ed. In Math Curriculum and Instruction, UT Arlington *Presenter at TI T-cubed conference 2015, very good with TI-84 and TI-nSpire calculators
Math Teacher Ursuline Academy of Dallas
Technology and the Future of Driving
Dr. Poe will discuss how transportation engineers are using technology and designing future cars and roads to create the next generation of transportation.
SpeakerChristopher Poe, Ph.D., P.E.
- Over 30 years experience in transportation engineering, including academic research and private consulting
- Licensed professional engineer in Texas
- Previously Adjunct Professor at University of Texas Arlington and Lecturer at Penn State University
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University
- M.E. and B.S. in Civil Engineering from Texas A&M University
Assistant Agency Director Texas A&M Transportation Institute
The Diversity of Talent Needed in the Tech Industry
A career in tech means you need to be in front of a computer coding 12 hours a day, drinking Jolt cola and eating last night's left over pizza right? While there's certainly room for that demographic, I hope to provide an insight into the wide diversity of talent and roles that the high tech industry demands today.
- Currently working as an Iteration Manager in the software delivery arm of ThoughtWorks, US Southwest region
- BA from University of Arizona in Economics and French, Masters in International Business
- Moved to NY after college to join the renewable energy industry, moved to the technology industry in 96
- Started technology career as a business analyst and have since extended my backgrount to analysis, project management & consulting
- Passionate about the intersection between technology, social justice and renewable energy
Lead Consultant Thoughtworks
What is Data Science?
Data science is a trendy term, but what does it really mean? What are some paths into this field? I'll provide an introduction illustrated with some of my own experiences.
SpeakerKelly Truelove, Ph.D.
- I conduct technology research & analysis with a focus on Internet systems, work that often includes a data-science component.
- Ph.D. in physics from the University of California, Berkeley
- B.S. in physics from the University of Texas at Austin
Principal Truelove Research
A Day in the Life of a Pediatric Hematology Oncology Nurse...
I will give an overview on how I figured out what I wanted to do when I grew up and how important it is to feel passionate about what you do. I'll also outline the steps I took to get into the Nurisng field and why I fell in love with pediatric hem/onc.
- HPHS Graduate 1987
- Graduated Dec. 1991 with BSN in Nursing from UT Austin
- Began work at Children's Medial Center (now Children's Health) in the summer 1990 as a Medical Assistant
- Worked Christmas Break at Children's as a Pediatric Nurse Technician
- Started as an RN in January 1992 at Children's on the Hem/Onc unit- quickly became charge nurse, preceptor, and Stem Cell Transplant certified
- Became the Educator for the same Hem/Onc unit 1998-2001
- Became the Outpatient Manager for the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders 2001-2005 (retired to be home with my kids)
- Back to work part time April 2008 CCBD Clinic
- Promoted into Manager role again in January 2011-present in the CCBD Clinic
RN, BSN, CPHON Practice Administrator for the Gill Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders Children's Health, Dallas
Adult Cardiology and medical device implantation
I will discuss general adult cardiology, medical device implantation, and bring a factory representative from St Jude Medical to discuss the business side of medical device sales.
SpeakerScott Stephenson, MD
Adult cardiologist specializing in pacemakers and implantable cardiac defibrillaters.
MD Texas Cardiac
Careers in Computer Science
Learn about the amazing and diverse career opportunities in Computer Science.
- BS in Industrial Engineering - Texas A&M; MBA - SMU
- Co-founder of Source Media in 1988, a NASDAQ traded company
- Co-founder of MultiView in 2000, a portfolio company of Warburg Pincus
- MultiView is a digital marketing company specializing in the B2B space
Chairman and CEO MultiView, Inc.
Flight Deck Physics and Courtroom Chemistry
Real world ways a non-science major has been required to master math and science from the carrier flight deck to the federal courtroom.
- Baylor University - B.A. 1986; J.D. 1995
- United States Navy 1986-1992
- Bombardier/Navigator on A-6E Intruder carrier borne attack aircraft
- 148 carrier landing (54 at night) aboard the USS Independence (CV- 62), USS Constellation (CV-64), and USS Nimitz (CVN-68)
- Veteran of Operation Desert Shield
- Trial Lawyer - 1995-Current
- $30 Million dollars in jury verdicts in science based pharmaceutical injury cases
Former Naval Flight Officer/Federal Trade Prosecutor US Navy/Federal Trade Commission
Geology - A Fun Way to Make a Living
Come hear from a geologist about how you can make a fun and rewarding living, take interesting trips, and use science every day.
SpeakerKennen Schmitz, M.S., MBA
- BS and MS degrees in Geology from SMU and NIU
- Worked as a Petroleum Geologist in Southern Louisiana
- MBA from SMU
- Worked for a large Wall Street firm managing oil and gas investments
- Returned to Texas after experiencing first World Trade Center terrorist attack in 1993
- Active member of PCBC
Geologist President, Winfield Operating Company
Highly Advanced TeleMED at Advance ER
Telemedicine is about to revolutionize the delivery of health care. This movement is "unstoppable" according to health care experts. Just witness how many people around you are using their cell phones to access information and entertainment on the Internet. It's inevitable that one's healthcare will "soon" be delivered via the Internet as well. Oh, pardon me... The time is already here, and it's called Telemedicine. You can find TeleMED technology at the very advanced Advance ER located in Park Cities and Preston Hollow!
SpeakerMichael Chiang, M.D. and Rajesh Rao, M.D.
Specialist Now(SM) Director Managing Partner, Advance ER Member of American College of Emergency Physicians
Specialist Now (SM) Director and Managing Partner at Advance ER Www.AdvanceER.com
New Advances in Surgery using the da Vinci Robotic System
New advances in robotic technology have allowed surgeons to perform, and patients to undergo difficult procedures in a minimally invasive way. Students will have an opportunity for a hands on experience with the da Vinci Surgical Robot.
SpeakerRichard Salter, MD
- Attended Abilene Christian University, graduated 1983
- Attended Texas Tech University Medical School, graduated 1988
- Internship and Residency at University of Kentucky, completed 1992
- Specialized practice in Ob-Gyn in Dallas for 18 years, started Advanced Ob-Gyn Associaites in 2008
- Main interest is in minimally invasive and advanced gynecologic surgery, utilizing the da Vinci surgical robotic system.
MD, Ob-Gyn Advanced Ob-Gyn Associates
Outbreak: Why You Really Can't Escape
I will describe recent local outbreaks and how it truly "takes a village" to prevent and respond to outbreaks of infectious diseases. Come learn about career options within the public health field.
SpeakerWendy Chung, MD
- Dallas County Health and Human Services, Chief Epidemiologist
- Pediatric Infectious Disease Physician
- BS—Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- MS—Harvard School of Public Health
- MD—University of Texas HSC, San Antonio
Chief Epidemiologist Dallas County Health and Human Services
So you think you want to be a “Rocket Scientist” - Part III? Reflections on a technical career…
In the course of this presentation, it is my hope that I will convey to you the importance that the STEM fields have to the individual as well as to our society in maintaining our degree of excellence. Coming from a physicist who has been fortunate with a diverse career, I hope that some of the details of my specific ‘life-line’ will serve as an example that will motivate you in your pursuits.
SpeakerRick Oden, Ph. D.
- Ph.D. Physics - Arizona State University (1993); B.S. Physics - Montana State University (1987).
- Working at Texas Instruments, Inc. - Digital Light Processing (DLP) Products Division for 16 years.
- Former Staff Scientist and Alexander Hollaender Research Fellow at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN.
- Research Fellow working Scanning Tunneling and Atomic Force Microscopy at The Universitat Berne, Berne, Switzerland.
- Enjoy the outdoors and coaching kids sports (baseball, softball, track & field).
- Nationally ranked USATF masters triple & long jumper.
TI Fellow Texas Instruments
The Science of Performance Nutrition - On the field, in the classroom!
Discover the nutritional science behind human performance whether it's demonstrated in running faster on the court or scoring higher on the test.
- BS in broadcast journalism from Syracuse University
- MS Nutritional Science from Oklahoma University
- 28 years in fitness, nutrition and wellness
- dietitian for Cooper Clinic, Cooper Fitness Center, Cooper Corporate Solutions, etc. for >16 years
- Writer, media spokesperson, instructor, lecturer and marathoner!
Sports Dietitian MS, RDN, CSSD, LD Cooper Clinic
The Science of Snacks: having fun with science while making food
Did you ever wonder, "Why study Chemistry" or "Who makes the food and beverages I buy" ? Come listen, interact and learn.
SpeakerJonathan Licker, PhD
- Earned a PhD from Cornell University in Food Science & Flavor Chemistry.
- Serves on Cornell University advisory council since 2003. Provides guidance for the food science department’s students, faculty, programs, and curriculum.
- Works for PepsiCo in Research & Development for Frito-Lay developing snacks including Doritos, Cheetos, Tostitos, Sunchips ...
Global Flavors & Seasonings Research & Development, Senior Manager PepsiCo