First, choose your class period
Then take a look at our presentations below
Note, however, that enrollment ended on Oct 28, 2016.
Registered & Licensed Dietitian
Explore the process of earning dietetic credentials and succeeding as a Registered Dietitian. Learn how Registered Dietitians work as part of the hospital interdisciplinary team and how nutrition effects the management of chronic diseases. Discuss common diets and food trends in 2016 focusing on benefits and possible side effects.
SpeakerAlicia Nicoud, RD, LD
- HPHS Class of 2008
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition from the University of Texas at Austin
- Worked in hospitals for past 3+ years in critical care setting
- Diagnose Malnutrition and those at rise of Malnutrition, order alternative means of nutrition
- Complete disease specific diet educations to manage disease states
- Enjoy recipe development and testing in free time
Registered Dietitian North Hills Hospital
Working in Information Security
A quick overview on why one should consider a career in information security
SpeakerDaniel Adams and Ahsan Memon
- Information Security Engineer for Experian
- Louisiana Tech University Class of 2015
- Nation's first graduate with a Bachelor's of Science in Cyber Engineering
- Interned one summer for a government agency
- Researched keyboard biometrics while in college
Information Security Engineer Experian
Careers in Oil & Gas, Offshore Platforms, LNG Plants
I will discuss different types of engineering careers and the highlights of my career in LNG production and debottlenecking offshore platforms around the world.
SpeakerMarie Naklie McCoy
- Floating liquefied natural gas expert
- 44 years engineering experience, working in 20+ countries worldwide
- 28 years with Mobil Oil
- 16 years consulting in offshore & liquefied natural gas worldwide
- Married, 2 children
Chemical engineer, offshore platforms and liquefied natural gas Engineering Consultant, Stanford Consulting
Digital Fabrication at the atomic scale
Digital information technology changed your world; digital fabrication at the atomic scale will change it again. I will explain how and why you should consider being an engineer.
SpeakerJohn Randall, Ph. D.
- I am a card carrying Nano-Nerd with a PhD from the University of Houston, 33 years of Industrial experience making really small things, and 29 US patents
- I have worked for MIT's Lincoln Laboratory (4 years), Texas Instruments (15 years with 2 years in Belgium), and Zyvex as CTO, VP, and Pres (15 years)
- Zyvex Labs has a plot to rule the world with Atom by Atom Manufacturing and is working to heal the blind (Human Trials in 2017)
- I am addicted to computer programming, robotics, and playing Alto Sax
- I love my wife and kids
President Zyvex Labs
Engineers Make the World a Better Place
Engineering is a high-demand, high-paying career that needs people of diverse backgrounds to solve the world's most challenging problems.
- Electrical Engineer with BS degree from Rice and MS degree from Duke
- Semiconductor design of chips that are the brains of cell phones, entertainment systems and communication systems.
- Worked at TI for 32 years and was elected as a Fellow, the highest level of Technical Staff
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), an international professional organization, and responsible for organizing conferences and workshops.
President Design Connect Create
From Deep-Sea Sharks to Open-Water Swimmers
The study of our oceans is a broad field with almost limitless possibilities! A scientist needs to stay curious and adaptable in order to take advantage of the opportunities that will come his or her way.
SpeakerJacquelin Hipes, M.S.
- B.S. in Biological Sciences, with an emphasis in marine biology, from LSU (Magna Cum Laude)
- Four years of undergraduate experience working in an oceanography research lab
- Participated in a National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates summer program at Texas A&M Galveston
- M.S. in Biological Oceanography from USF
- Thesis work on the population dynamics of a deep-sea shark and the species associations of sharks in the Gulf of Mexico
- As the Science Program Coordinator for The Longest Swim, I work with researchers from over a dozen universities and institutions to organize research at sea and to share key scientific ideas and results with the public
Science Program Coordinator for The Longest Swim ProGEA
Innovative Technologies for Reconstructive Surgeries
Innovative Technologies for Reconstructive Surgeries
- President and CEO of Osteomed Corporation. OsteoMed is a leading global innovator, developer, manufacturer and marketer of specialty medical devices, surgical implants and powered surgical instruments.
- Leibinger / (Pfizer & Stryker) - 1993-1999
- Bank of America - 1986-1993
- SMU MBA - 1986
- University of Texas at Austin & nbsp; BBA / Pre-Med - 1984
- HPHS Graduate - 1980
President, CEO of OsteoMed OsteoMed LLC
Introduction to Neurosurgery
Overview of what the field of neurosurgery encompasses along with the required necessary steps to become a neurosurgeon. I will show surgical videos and slides, and perform a live demonstration of endovascular coil embolization of a cerebral aneurysm on a flow model.
SpeakerAnthony Maioriello, M.D., M.S., FAANS, FACS
Board Certified Neurosurgeon specializing in Minimally Invasive Brain and Spine Surgery Fellowship Trained Endovascular Neurosurgeon, UT Houston Neurosurgery Residency UTMB Galveston M.D. from Rush Medical College in Chicago IL M.S. from Northwestern University in Neurobiology and Physiology B.S. Biochemistry at Benedictine University in Lisle, IL
Neurosurgeon / Endovascular Neurosurgeon Texas health Physician Group
It Starts on the Inside...Making a Difference Everyday!
Who do you want to be when you grow up? Come explore numerous opportunities as a healthcare professional in pharmacy practice.
SpeakerMischelle Smoot, RPh
- Pharmacist with twenty plus years of operational and management experience.
- Team Lead skilled in Specialty, Compounding, Hospital and HCV/HIV care.
- Oversight of clinical and financial aspects of integrated and non-acute care systems.
- Multi-state licensed pharmacist.
Senior Director, Pharmacy Services US Bioservices/AmerisourceBergen
New Advances in Surgery using the da Vinci Robotic System
New advances in robotic technology have allowed surgeons to perform, and patients to undergo difficult procedures in a minimally invasive way. Students will have an opportunity for a hands on experience with the da Vinci Surgical Robot.
SpeakerRichard Salter, MD
- Attended Abilene Christian University, graduated 1983
- Attended Texas Tech University Medical School, graduated 1988
- Internship and Residency at University of Kentucky, completed 1992
- Specialized practice in Ob-Gyn in Dallas for 18 years, started Advanced Ob-Gyn Associaites in 2008
- Main interest is in minimally invasive and advanced gynecologic surgery, utilizing the da Vinci surgical robotic system.
MD, Ob-Gyn Advanced Ob-Gyn Associates
The Art of Making Art . . . Is State of the Art
This presentation will focus on how "artists" use the scientific aspects of Sound, Lighting, Video, as well as other theatrical devices and technology to create great theatrical productions and live shows.
SpeakerH. Bart McGeehon
- Designed and Collaborated on the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games, Miss America Pageants, Beauty and the Beast, and Always . . Patsy Cline on Broadway
- Designed over 50 theatrical productions including such children's classics as The Cat in the Hat, The Little Mermaid, Ferdinand the Bull, 1000 Cranes, A Christmas Carol, Goodnight Moon, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Curious George, The Little Prince and Aladdin
- Designed and Stage Managed in regional, national touring companies & professional theatres all over the US, Canada & abroad
- Worked and collaborated with some of the nations leading playwrights including Robert Shennken (The Kentucky Cycle) and Arthur Kopit (The Phantom of the Opera)
- Recently designed the Award winning Uptown Players' production of Hedwig & the Angry Inch and Angels in America
Director of Production and Operations Dallas Children's Theatre
The Life of a Rocket Engineer - Engineerig to Reality
Learn about the development and maintenance of Lockheed Martin's HIMARS Rocket.
SpeakerJoseph Ashmore III
- Graduate From Texas A&M University Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Employment – Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control Systems
- Current Position Senior Program Manager
- International Business Capture for the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) and The Multiple Launcher Rocket System (MLRS)
- Software Modernization For HIMARS
- Command and Control (C2), Battle Field Management For HIMARS and MLRS weapon systems and performance
- Contractor Logistic Support to the Middle East for HIMARS & MLRS
- Other Work at Lockheed Martin
- Designed and directed many phases of the HIMARS program from inception through completion to include design concepts, research, development, integration and test.
- Managed all aspects of engineering management, engineering, and design and manufacturing engineering processes for HIMARS.
Program Manager Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control Systems
Dr. Vandermeer will be covering the basics of Veterinary Medicine (i.e. requirements for licensing, day-to-day operations in a veterinary practice, surgical procedures, etc.)
SpeakerJohn Vandermeer, D.V.M.
- Native of Highland Park and graduated from Highland Park High School in 1983
- Undergraduate education in Biomedical Science at Texas A & M University
- Veterinary degree from Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine
- After graduation in 1990, returned to Dallas and joined Highland Park Animal Hospital
- Professional interests include orthopedic surgery and endoscopy
Veterinarian Highland Park Animal Hospital
You can Make a Difference In a Child's Life: Pediatric Emergency Medicine
If you are energetic and love to help children, Pediatric Emergency Medicine is a career that combines critical care and primary health care in a high paced, exciting environment. Come hear what emergency medicine for children is all about and how you can make a difference in a child's life.
SpeakerPam Okada, MD
- Undergraduate: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Medical School: Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA
- Residency: Pediatrics: Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Fellowship: Pediatric Emergency Medicine: University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
- Current Position: Professor of Pediatrics and Attending Physician in the Pediatric Emergency Department
Physician University of Texas Southwestern Medical School; Children's Medical Center